Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Week 1: Classroom Rules

Welcome to Portable 7: Mrs. Shore's Music Class

The first week of school, I got the honor of traveling class to class to introduce myself and to go over classroom rules. For students who knew me, they were shocked to discover that I was no longer a 5th grade teacher. They soon found out that I was their new music educator! I explained to the children that you are never to old to chase down a dream, no matter how big or small. For most of our students, they dream of making it big in the NFL, NBA, or perhaps becoming the next American Idol.  For me, my dream, since I was in the 4th grade, was to become a music teacher. After nine years of teaching reading and math, my dreams were able to come true thanks to our new superintendent, Dr. Vitti, and the opportunity from Mr. Pinter, our school principal. For those of you who don't know me, my name is Christina Shore. I studied Music Education at Florida State University with a focus in voice and piano, as well as Elementary Education. I am certified to teach grades K-6 in general education as well as Music K-12. I am also ESOL certified. I am fortunate to be able to use my highly developed skills in literacy, higher-order questioning and classroom management to ramp up the music program here at Fort Caroline Elementary. I cannot wait to use my creative energy in a new direction.

Here is why I teach Music:


Most importantly, I teach music because music is the essence of life. It teaches us all to love more and inspires us to be more. Music helps us get through good days and bad. I cannot imagine life without song. Music is happiness and music is my passion!

How we "Conduct" Ourselves in Music Class


These are the rules we follow in music class. The first week, I had the students play the rhythms on rhythm sticks while chanting the class rule. The students helped me brainstorm examples and non-examples of each class rule. It is crucial that each rule is followed to ensure a classroom that is safe, respectful and nurturing to the developing musician. The classroom rules are broken up into syllables that are then represented symbolically. As a challenge, I had students try to make up their own classroom rule and improvise a rhythm that went along with the syllables. It was amazing to see what the students came up with! They have brilliant minds! As an activity at home, see if you can put your house rules to a rhythm and have your child clap it. 

Here is an example:
Eat all your vegetables!
ta, ti-ti, ti-ti, ta.

Most importantly, have fun! Everything is more fun when it's put to rhythm and song!

Body Percussion!

The last activity I did for classroom visits was a body percussion activity. My activity was meant to prove a point. Music is more than fun and games. It takes just as much focus and concentration to perform a rhythmic activity than it does to sit down and read a book or complete a math problem. After challenging my students in a 9 beat body percussion activity, I gave them time to reflect. All students were extremely challenged for this activity. I told the students that being a musician requires you to think deeply and focus. If you child is not concentrating just as much, if not more, when they complete a math problem or read a book, encourage them to go back and re-think. With practice and determination, anything is possible!

"Sing"cerely,
                ~Mrs. Shore





No comments:

Post a Comment